- May 9, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
Glaucoma, if left untreated, could result in vision loss leading to blindness in severe cases. As a health conscious folk, you need to understand the symptoms, causes and treatment of glaucoma.
Let’s start with facts
- Glaucoma is the silent thief of vision
- Aging and thyroid are the prime reasons for glaucoma
- Open-angle and closed-angle are the two major types of glaucoma
- Symptoms include severe pain in the affected eye
- Treatments available are surgery and medication
Causes of glaucoma
- Aging is the prime cause for people developing this eye condition
- Ethnic background especially East Asians, African Americans and those of Hispanic descent are prone to glaucoma
- Diabetes and hypothyroidism could result in glaucoma
- Eye injuries and surgery
Symptoms of open-angle glaucoma
- The patient loses peripheral vision completely and it happens in both the eyes
- In advance stage of the disease, the patient develops tunnel vision
Symptoms of closed-angle glaucoma
- Pain in the eye and the condition could be severe
- Nausea and vomiting due to painful condition
- Vision becomes blurred
- Patient sees halo-like glow around lights
- Eyes remain red
- Abrupt vision problems in low light areas
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms, you must see an experienced eye surgeon to get his opinion on treatment. Most probably the surgeon would suggest surgery to cure the problem.
Surgery for glaucoma
Surgical treatment to reduce the pressure buildup in the eye remains the only option once the medication fails to work or the patient is unable to withstand the pressure built in the eye.
Trabeculoplasty: The clogged drainage canals are opened using a laser beam. The opening of canals allows the blocked fluid to drain out releasing the pressure in the eye.
Filtering or Viscocanalostomy: This method is used when even the laser surgery fails to open the clogged canals. The process opens the channels within the eye to improve fluid drainage.
Drainage Implant or Aqueous Shunt Implant: The blocked fluid is drained using a small silicone tube. This process is used for child surgery and those with secondary glaucoma.
Narang Eye Institute in Delhi performs glaucoma surgery with 100% results. This institute has been performing eye surgeries for 25 years and today it has become a well-known name in eye care and treatment in the Delhi NCR area. People from nearby states also visit Narang Eye Institute for treatment.